PURE OXIDIZED BITUMEN or BLOWN BITUMEN is produced by either continuous or Staggered Blowing Process. Heated Penetration Grade BITUMEN under controlled environment is BLOWN with air which controls the oil content in the BITUMEN while it OXIDIZED. The different grades for suited applications produced are designated by two numbers to indicate the mid-points of their softening point and penetration ranges.
PETRO TAR CO. Produciing OXIDIZED BITUMEN 99.5$ PURE and without using any Gilsonite or any other impurities in It’s Refinery.
Production of other grades of blown bitumen is possible by customer order
OXIDIZED BITUMEN or BLOWN Asphalt grades are produced by passing air through the penetration grades BITUMEN. This process gives the BITUMEN more rubbery properties than its original formula and they are simply harder BITUMEN. Hard BITUMEN under controlled temperature conditions is one of main Bituminous materials that widely used and one of main materials as an anti-slip layers compound in the piling industry, for manufacture of roofing felts, the roofing and waterproofing industries, for sound dampening felts and under carriage sealant in the automotive industry, building Construction, electric cable joint protection, joint filling compound, sealant compound and many others. Also used in sealing saw cuts and joints where expected movements are minimum. It is also used in the manufacturing of Bituminous marine mastic for the oil & gas pipeline joints
PETRO TAR Refinery Producing all grades of OXIDIZED BITUMEN (R10/20, R85/25, R85/40, R90/10, R90/15, R90/40, R95/25, R110/30, R115/15) in various kind of 20kg, 25Kg and 40 Kg packings like Carton box, Meltable polyamide Bags, Kraft Bags, Block & Drums. The most popular grades of OXIDIZED BITUMEN (BLOWN ASPHALT) are; grades 85/25, 90/40, 95/25 and 115/15. We are also capable of producing other grades of BLOWN BITUMEN (OXIDISED BITUMEN) upon request by our customers. OXIDIZED BITUMEN high softening temperatures qualify them as excellent sealant for prevention from bleeding in high temperature applications. BLOWN Grade BITUMEN shall be broken up into small pieces (for BLOWN Grade in molded cake form) and heated slowly to the application temperature of 220ºC to 230ºC.
OXIDIZED BITUMEN (HARD BITUMEN) is a very flexible compound that is not only chemically stable but also a highly flexible and durable compound apart from being completely water resistant. Lastly, OXIDIZED BITUMEN (OXIDISED BITUMEN) has some very prominent technical advantages that makes it a very sought after compound in various applications.
The properties of BITUMEN can be modified by air blowing in batch processes.
The Vacuum bottom (VB) in liquid form by BLENDING BITUMEN and BLOWING BITUMEN with a petroleum distillate fraction is customary and is generally accomplished in tanks equipped with coils for air agitation or with a mechanical stirrer or a vortex mixer. Air is heated up to 150–250°C and introduced at the bottom of a blowing production tower. It then migrates through the BITUMEN to the top of the blowing production tower. The chemical reactions result in bitumen with a different mixture of molecular structures. Catalysts can influence this process.
The producing operation of producing OXIDIZED BITUMEN mainly includes tank loading different steps, BITUMEN blowing, condenser external gases and packing. So in the beginning the loose BITUMEN shipped to the plant by tanker is transferred to the raw material store tanker.
In order to transfer the BITUMEN easily to the blowing tower the burner is contrived at the bottom of the store tanker to heat them. It is necessary to say that if the blowing towers are empty, hot BITUMEN can be uploaded directly to them and blowing operation start.
Since the volume of BITUMEN increases as a result of blowing and it may overflow, the blowing tower is filled up to 70 %.
Air injection is usually done when the temperature of material reach to 190-230 °C.
For gradual heating and also pipes filling with the air is entered from the top of the tower and at the bottom the BITUMEN dispread monotonously in phase via nozzel then oxidation is done accordingly and the light molecule, volatile gases and steam are emitted from the top of the tower.
Blowing operation is done in temperature range 215-290°C but the suitable temperature is between 265 to 270°C. The needed heat is provided by burner contrived at the bottom of the tower. The BITUMEN reaction is calorific so in order to prevent the explosion danger resulted from temperature increasing, the temperature can be controlled by water injection, burner extinguisher and air amount reducing.
Blowing end point is usually signified by sampling from tower and BITUMEN properties testing. The blowing operation stops when OXIDIZED BITUMEN reaches to specified properties. After this in order to fix the final point and depolymerization BITUMEN got in high temperature. It is necessary to be transferred to store after packing and presented to sale.
BLOWNED BITUMEN (OXYDE BITUMEN) has more and stronger molecular interactions than the original formula of BITUMEN and is therefore more cohesive. Blowing causes the softening point to increase and the penetration to decrease. However, the increase in softening point is usually more than the decrease in penetration. This means that blowing reduces the temperature susceptibility of bitumen. The effectiveness of blowing depends largely on the original bitumen (i.e. the original mixture of molecular structures).
It is necessary to say that the produced gas and steam entered the condansor through the pipe fixed at the top of the blowing tower. In this stage the bad smelling gases and oily and volatile parts are separated from then transfer to sewage accompanied with water. Other unseparated gas parts is emitted from top of the condenser then transfer to furnace and burned there. After cooling the blowing oven and reaching them to 150-160°C, all the content of blowing oven which is hard BITUMEN is able to be loaded and packed. Because of the liquid height in blowing tower, OXIDIZED BITUMEN is transferred by specific gravity and there is no need to use pump.
Packing is done in 20Kg & 25 kg carton Box, 20Kg & 25kg Meltable polyamide bags, 20Kg, 25 kg and 40Kg kraft Bags, 20Kg, 25Kg & 40Kg Blocks & keg and 20Kg, 25Kg drums. For fast operation (preventing from cooling & hardening) in every section several taps are fixed so that it can fill specific Packings with BLOWN BITUMEN (OXIDISED BITUMEN) in same time.
1. VACCUM BOTTOM or BITUMEN heating to 230-270 °C
2. Transferring VB or Hot Melted BITUMEN to Blowing towers
3. Blowing air to VB or BITUMEN
4. Cooling AIR BLOWNED BITUMEN
5. Packing (Carton Box, Polyamide Bag, Kraft Bag, Drum, Block)
1. Continuous blowing procedure
2. Discontinuous blowing procedure (Batch wise)
These two procedures done by other two procedures named catalysis and anti-catalysis. Catalysis means adding some chemical material during the process In order to decrease blowing reaction time.
For the following reasons:
• Ease and simplicity in changing blowing condition and have production with different grades as a result.
• Ease in generating the unit.
• Ease in technology and low expense in investment.
The discontinuous producing procedure is choosen.
• The blowing of BITUMEN or VB should be done from the bottom of BLOWING tower. The reaction between BITUMEN and AIR is calorific. If the heat produced during the mixture is high, the heat of reaction is controlled by water injection.
• Admixture of air and the volume of blowing air is two important variants in blowing process. In BITUMEN producing plant, BITUMEN 60/70 is usually got by blowing. In this case for making BITUMEN 90/15 or 85/25 distilled used oil or crude oil should be injected to the product according to the volume 20-25 % otherwise the fragility in BITUMEN lead to inferior production.
• Increasing the heating temperature, air injection amount, time and tower pressure increase the speed of production process reaction. The suitable temperature for production operation is 265-270°C which should be controlled not to be ascended since in high temperature and in 288°C intensity of reaction becomes more sever and incontrollable which lead to explosion in tower.
• The long time stay of BITUMEN in tower in any condition is not in favor of system and should be delivered to drum or empty tanker after being ready.
• If the liquid surface in blowing tower is low, not more than particular limit should be added to the system for the extra air gather in empty parts and lead to ignition nearly and if the temperature is kept high, the inside heat of tower ascend fats and this issue cause inside explosion and endamage the system.
• Blowing tower is filled up to 70%. Air injection is done in 190-232°C. The final point of blowing is specified by sampling and testing of BITUMEN properties. Finally, the temperature of product should be kept 150- 165 °C in order to have loading and packing capability.
OXIDIZED_BITUMEN is known by different names in the market, such as BLOWN BITUMEN, BLOWN ASPHALT, OXIDIZED ASPHALT, BONDING BITUMEN, HARD BITUMEN, WATERPROOFING BITUMEN, COATING ASPHALT, SEALING BITUMEN, HOT APPLIED BITUMEN, OXIDE BITUME, BITUMEN HOT SEALING, HOT MIX ASPHALT, COLD MIX ASPHALT, AIR BLOWN BITUMEN, COLD BITUMEN, SOLID BITUMEN, INDUSTRIAL BITUMEN, PAVING BITUMEN ……… etc.
OXIDIZED BITUMEN or BLOWN BITUMEN are produced by passing air through the penetration grades and has a wide variety of Industrial applications:
• Foundation damp-proofing
• As bonding Bitumen for roofing sheets memberane Roll and pour application of bitumen felts.
• Sealing of laps and joints of various bituminous felts and membranes.
• As a hot applied waterproofing layer
• Foundation damp proofing
• Carpet tile manufacturer
• As a raw material for liquid Bitumen
• For russt_proof pipe coating
• Sealant Compound
• Bituminous paints
• Lining of Cannals, dams and pipes
• Used as an anti-slip layer compound in the pilling Industry
• Air & Vapour Control layers
• Construction Projects
• leak_proof layers
• leakage prevention of tunnels
• Road resurfacing and repair
• Insulators of electrical material
• Used for production of roofing and sound dampening felts
• Roll and pour application of bitumen felts
Oxidized Bitumen high softening temperatures quality them as the excellent sealant for prevention from bleeding in high temperature applications